Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 11

Got to sleep in, no the rooster didn't wake me... only because I had my ipod in. We woke up around 8ish and had some lovely breakfast which was obviously the same as every other day. By this point a few of us were really starting to get hungry because the food was not any good, and you honestly could only eat so much rice. Good thing I thought this one through before I came to the Lahu tribe... brought me some baggels and what not to snack on. God I think of everything, its what picky eaters do I tell ya.

We didn't really do much all day, we played frisbee, and played cards all day. Finally the group wanted to go check out another village, but I stayed behind to help Surghai cook food. That was an experience. He made fun of me the entire time because he said I couldn't cook. I may not be able to cook Tribal food, but common, I can cook can I not. Once the group came back, since it was our last night there the Lahu tribe wanted to do something nice for us so they wanted to kill a pig for us to eat. This is their way of being nice, but to me this was so not fun. We actually watched them kill the pig. I will never forget the sound that pig made before dying it will haunt my dreams forever. A few of us started crying... myself included. The lahu tribe didn't understand that we don't see the animals die, we buy our meat in a store. They learned from us, and we learned from them. This was a big deal for the Lahu tribe though because they barely ever eat meat because they cannot afford the animals.

That evening we had pork for supper. I honeslty could not eat it. Also when they kill an animal nothing goes to waste cause like I said they never eat meat. With this being said they eat the brain, the insides and everything no word of a lie. Another reason why I didn't eat the pork because I didn't know if it would be the brain or what I would be eating.

After supper we chilled out in one of the huts with all the villagers. We gave them a present for each house. We decided on pots because no one had any pots to cook with. They were a big fan. We all sat around this little fire in one of the huts playing a game we taught them, it was hilarious to see them tryso hard to play with us. Then they brought out the Lahu instruments and played for us while teaching us real Lahu dancing. We stayed up to all hours of the night dancing and laughing together and still could not understand one another, but it was a good time. fially the Lahu tribe went to bed and we were so loving life we went and watched the stars up by the shower area. Was so peacefull and beautiful I can't even explain how much I wated to stay, but when I really thought about it, the food would be an id\ssue for me because I was slowly running out of supply.

We went to bed that night knowing it was our last night in the Lahu tribe. We took in the moent and all passed out.

1 comment: