Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 19

Woke up around 8am... so not my favorite morning. I pulled through though. Hungover, but didn't complain since it was my own fault. Got some breakfast and this is when we discussed as a group a bet. The bet was they would give me 50 bucks if I could be quiet the entire day. They honeslt y didn't thinki I could do it. Hello, of course I can do it, I just never chose to shut my mouth. So the bet was made and the quiet started.

We then went and checked out the S21 prison. This prison use to be a school and then was turned intio a prison during the Khmer Rouge where many people were brought and tortured. Most individuals died, it was said that only 7 people who ever stayed in this prison lived and are still living today, only one girl in the 7 people. Walking through the prison it felt dark. I had a hard time walking through because I could feel pain. The floors were stained from blood. They never cleaned the place so you could still see blood all over the floors. The cells were tiny, you could not spread out in them. They had pictures of the different people who stayed in the prison, and looking at those pictures made the hurt feeling so much worse.

There were different buildings, we checked all of them our. Each building was as bad as the other. It was aweful to see how people were treated. Some of these people were children which made it even worse. Anyone or anything that was said to be a threat was put in jail. Tortured for things they didn't do, but everything was justified through false documents. After seeing the prison we headed to the killing fields. The killing fields was just as sad. The people who were in the prison were brought to the killing fields to be killed. They dug up many bodies, but there are still so many left in the ground. Everywhere you walked you were walking over bodies. You could see bones that are now coming out of the ground due to the rain. Clothes from the victims are now starting to come out of the ground due to the rain as well. If you look closely you can see the clothes stained in blood. I felt bad walking over the ground that so many bodies were barried underneath me. We learned that no one was killed by a gun because the Khmer rouge people wanted to keep it quiet so people were beaten to death by mostly children. Children are the ones who did most of the killing because they are weak and easily convinced to do something. They would take the children of the victims and throw them agasint a certain tree to kill the babies. Khmer Rouge believed that no one who was related to the victim should stay alive because they were worried that one day they would come back for revenge. Most families dies on those fields. Some families still do not know which field their family died on, or if they were even killed on the killing field. Still today there are so many misteries that will never be revealed.

After spending the day in an intense environment I decided it was time to break the bet because I needed to talk about everything or I would go crazy. I told them to all keep their money and we discussed everything we saw as a group. It was an intense day and even still when I think about it all I can do is shake my head and can't believe how this could happen.

We headed back to our guesthouse and got to have free time for the rest of the night. II was really tired since the night before I got no sleep. So obviously I peaced out to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment