Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 8


Got up around 7am. We all had the longest showers of our life I'm pretty sure. We knew that the village we were going to did not have running water so showering was a good idea cause we obviously didn't know what we were getting into to. We each grabbed a couple bottles of water and began our trek up the mountain to the Lahu village. The first 5 minutes of the trek was hot and in my head I wondered if I would actually be able to make it all the way to the top in this heat. We ran into a waterfall and clothes and all we all jumped in and swam around for a while before the 7 hour hike we had to do. At the time swimming in the waterfall was awesome, but then after we got out our clothes were wet and walking in wet clothes are not fun. You're all probably thinking why didn't you take off your clothes... well people these villages are very against taking off clothes. all girls need to wear shorts that cover the knee and t-shirts that cover the shoulder. Rules we had to follow since we were the guest on their land.

The first hour up the mountain felt like the longest hour of my life. Yakha one of our guides made us all bamboo walking sticks which were much needed so you didn't fall off the clifts as you walked up this giant mountain... no path to follow, you just had to go with it and grab whatever you saw in front of you to pull you up. It was so not a hike like any other I swear. Our guide was cutting trees as we walked it was so tarzan it was crazy. When these people say hike, they really mean trek through the jungle where yo could potentially die with one wrong step. Surghai was our second guide, he was older and much more the protector, Yakha was the funny guy and wouldn't save your life if you needed it. He would be the type to laugh, but yet I love him so.

Two hours into the hike we stopped and made a small campsite where we ate food we carried up with us. After eating I honestly didn't think I was going to make it any farther. I'm not in horrible shape, but it was completely up hill the entire time and I just cannot discribe how crazy this hike was. We all were so tired and almost out of water and we still had 5 more hours left of hiking. This is when I got a bit nervous cause we were almost out of water and no one except a few of us were conserving it. I stopped sharing water... a bitch has gotta fend for herself sometimes.

The day seemed so long, tension was building between everyone, some more then others. It really proved out team work together, even though we argued more then normal. At the half way point Surghai called a truck truck because some could just not continue up the mountain. We found our way to the road and most of the girls got into the truck truck. My ankle was sprained, I was out of water, and sweat was poring off my body. The thought of me getting into that truck truck was there, but I knew if I didn't complete the treck up the mountain I would always feel like I never really accomplished something so physically draining. I made a choice to stay as did Teale, Nat and Amanda and the three boys. We pushed through the rest of the afternoon working together as a ream building our team bond. We actually made a joke because the sleepers... meaning the ones who always go to bed early and never really party and do all the healthy life choices are the ones to go in the truck truck, while the drinkers and smokers were the ones who stayed and finished the hike in less then 7 hours that was predicted.

When we came over the last hill and saw the Lahu village it was the best day of my life. My legs were weak, and I honestly could not move anymore. Walking into the village was a whole other experience in itself. We knew the village had no running water, but it was so different then what we all expected. We saw 7 houses all made out of bamboo and grass. I swear it was something you only see in old movies. These people had nothing except respect and courage to keep moving on and hard work to make it another day. No one in the village spoke english or Thai, they all spoke Lahu, so we could not communicate with them the entire time we were in the village, it was all body language. Yakha took us to our hut the ladies were staying in and we honeslty slept on bamboo floor for 4 nights... my back was not loving life.

At first being in the village I was nervous because there was no running water, no shower and no toilet... its called the woods. But the more I sat there looking around at the village and the people I felt free from all societal norms and expectations. Was was peaceful and very calming. These people may not have computers, cell phones, and even running water, but they were the happiest people I have ever met. I can honestly say these people appreciate life and all the small things that we don't even notice anymore. Living and being a part of the Lahu tribe taught me a lot about all the things I ignore, the little things and the people I spend my time with. One of the greatest experiences of my life and would love to go back there again sometime, even if it means pooping in the woods again.

No comments:

Post a Comment