Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 25

Woke up around 7am gt showered and all that junk to meet the group at 8. Today we were headed to a University class that was being taught by a friend of Amanda's. The class was a gender class and talked all about the sex industry, and slavery that still happens around the world today. Off we went thinking we would be sitting in on the class, but when we got there we were surprised to hear we were going to be teaching the class. Oh good god... that's what was going through my head. Broke off into groups and discussed the issues. Not gonna lie I learned a lot and I was the one who was suppose to be teaching them. I learned that slavery still happens in Canada today... it isn't talked about, but it happens. The Canadian goverment keeps it hush hush because it is a slight form of slavery, but not to the extreme where the media can make it sound bad. Throughout the class a lot of the students didn't actually know that there were problems with slavery in Cambodia, and that the sex industry was as bad as it really is. They were shocked to hear, as was I with a lot of things.

Finally the class was over and I could breath again. We decided as a group to spend the rest of the day as a free day because some of us had to get passport photos, including myself since I lost mine somewhere in the travel. We all went our separate ways and met up at the Russian market were we went to this cute little cafe owned by this french man. Food was amazing, but kept being bothered by woman begin for food. I decided to give one of the ladies half of my food since I knew I would be eating again later and who knows when she would be getting her next meal. After lunch we decided instead of spending the whole day as a free day we would go back to S.C.A.O orphanage to complete the building of the school.

When we got to S.C.A.O we finished up all the painting, and the roof and what not was all put together. The only thing we had left to do was build 12 more desk. Instead of building I spent the day playing with the children. Actually we all spent the day playing with the children instead of building, but that was because the wood had to be sanded and they didn't want us doing it. Playing with the children I learned how to play rock, paper, scissors the Cambodian way, and let me tell you it is not easy. I really got to know the children, more then I had in the past few days at S.C.A.O. I have some favorites not gonna lie. Some that I wanted to put in my bag and bring back to Canada with me, but I knew that wouldn't be a good idea.

We left the orphanage around 5pm got back to the guesthouse and had us some showers. Went out to eat as a group anddecided to go play pool and have a few beer. Amanda taught me how to play pool like a champion, since I guess I didn't know how to play it before. She's the pro, so she knows best. I was a horrible partner, the only reson we won our games is because she got all our balls in. After playing some pool we decided to head off to Top Banana for more drinks. We do love Top Banana, one of our favorite places to drink. Drank there for a while and then left around 2 where I then decided to head to bed since tomorrow was another early morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment